So the purpose of this blog is to be a space to practice creativity. I am currently using it as a place to record a single, unedited poem for each day in 2019. While I attempt to write everyday, I may not actually post daily. Instead, I will post poems as they are completed, but one for everyday of the year. Not sure I can make it, but we'll see. It's fun to try regardless :)

Friday, December 9, 2022

Poem: December 7, 2022

An Open Letter to My Students


To Whom It May Concern:


The pharmacy informs me that due

to the national shortage of Adderall-

which hasn’t been available locally

since much earlier this fall-

doctors have been prescribing

concerta to their patients instead,

thus creating an unanticipated,

public run on my daily meds, 

and so, they tell me, they can’t predict

when they will be able to fill

my request for my monthly bottle

of little white barrel-shaped pills.

So now I find myself explaining

the consequences of seven days,

unmedicated and still at work. 

So to start, I am walking through a haze, 

left without access to the clearer,

straighter path, while also finding that

I am surrounded by every noise which,

a week ago, wouldn’t have mattered,

so I am overstimulated by, yes, 

literally every single thing that’s here, 

and my anxiety spikes, and my

heart races so quickly that I fear

I will snap at one of you even though

you’re doing nothing different or wrong,

but my exhaustion has peaked,

and my reserves are all gone,

which brings me to this letter’s point:

to make of you a simple request-

Please chill out and do your work-

I truly believe that would be best.


Sincerely, 

Mr. W


No comments:

Post a Comment

Poem: March 12, 2024

No One I run until I am invisible and free from the tendrils of the day and the treadmill and the others who fill this space, free of my gho...