So the purpose of this blog is to be a space to practice creativity. I am currently using it as a place to record a single, unedited poem for each day in 2019. While I attempt to write everyday, I may not actually post daily. Instead, I will post poems as they are completed, but one for everyday of the year. Not sure I can make it, but we'll see. It's fun to try regardless :)

Tuesday, February 5, 2019

Poem: February 1, 2019

We Need Even the Rocks in the Road

Accidental damage to your neighbor's house.
An argument you shouldn't have had.
Attention Deficit Disorder.
Asymmetry.
Apathy and ennui.
A speeding ticket and the points on your license.
Anger and its aftermath.
Anxiety about nothing in particular.
Anything lost to foolishness or theft.
A chipped tooth or broken bone.
A mistake you make on the first day at work.
Aches and chronic pains.
A public embarrassment.
Anonymity.
Aging gracelessly.
All the cruel things you wish you hadn't done.
A failed marriage and your culpability.
Alcoholism, addiction, relapse.
Angioplasty and bypass surgery.
Another failed marriage.
A grandparent's funeral, then a parent's.
And a sibling's and a friend's.
And worse, a child's.
A brick through your windshield.
Anarchy.
Authoritarianism.
Armed conflict. Air strikes.
An internment camp.
Alone.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Poem: March 12, 2024

No One I run until I am invisible and free from the tendrils of the day and the treadmill and the others who fill this space, free of my gho...