So the purpose of this blog is to be a space to practice creativity. I am currently using it as a place to record a single, unedited poem for each day in 2019. While I attempt to write everyday, I may not actually post daily. Instead, I will post poems as they are completed, but one for everyday of the year. Not sure I can make it, but we'll see. It's fun to try regardless :)

Monday, April 15, 2019

Poem: April 15, 2019

Away

In the late Spring
when I was a child
we would go
canoeing on
the Blue River
with my parents'
friends and
their many kids-
a whole tribe-
on a fourteen mile
trip, from start to
finish, and ending
just before
the swollen river
dropped over
the old concrete
dam where the
canoe rental van
would wait
to take our baked
and soggy bodies
back to the place
where we began,
and I remember
those days as long
diversions, a slow
wandering and
unraveling joke
in which the sun
burned our top
halves and
the water soaked
the rest, and we
would float idly
beside the canoes
between bursts
of rapids and
getting hung up
in the shallows.
We ate our lunches
on the sandbars
at noon, sitting
under the trees or
on the upturned
canoes, and
the breeze would
hold its breath,
leaving us sweating
and ready for
the water ahead,
and in the afternoon,
the odd quiet
of paddles pushing
the water, far away
from the city- a sigh
really, permission
to be both wild
and still.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Poem: March 12, 2024

No One I run until I am invisible and free from the tendrils of the day and the treadmill and the others who fill this space, free of my gho...