So the purpose of this blog is to be a space to practice creativity. I am currently using it as a place to record a single, unedited poem for each day in 2019. While I attempt to write everyday, I may not actually post daily. Instead, I will post poems as they are completed, but one for everyday of the year. Not sure I can make it, but we'll see. It's fun to try regardless :)

Tuesday, April 16, 2019

Poem: April 16, 2019

Notre Dame

Our Lady, please teach us
that nothing lasts, not stone
or iron, except that we rebuild.

We gather around you in song
transfixed by your fire as all men
are transfixed by fire and made small.

In your long memory, you have seen
how temporary we are, how little
we have, and how we waste our energies.

You've witnessed our grasping for control,
our crusades and revolutions and world wars.
You've seen who we are when we destroy.

But in sight of your light and your eye
we have also aspired with more grace.
You've known Piaf and Monet, Hugo and Bartholdi.

Even your own great bones that define
a landscape against the human shifting of time
are the reaching work of our broken hearts.

So we pray that you teach us
to rebuild, to tend with patience and love,
the impermanent, beautiful work we create.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Poem: March 12, 2024

No One I run until I am invisible and free from the tendrils of the day and the treadmill and the others who fill this space, free of my gho...