So the purpose of this blog is to be a space to practice creativity. I am currently using it as a place to record a single, unedited poem for each day in 2019. While I attempt to write everyday, I may not actually post daily. Instead, I will post poems as they are completed, but one for everyday of the year. Not sure I can make it, but we'll see. It's fun to try regardless :)

Tuesday, September 28, 2021

Poem: September 3, 2021

To Sleep


I think I’m looking forward.

Who can say what’s going on?

I sleep well enough. I’m comfortable,


but I wake up from dreams

that seem more vivid these days, 

from spaces that are concrete, 

so real, so real, and then I’m awake.


I mean really awake, the kind

of awake to start a day, ready.


Except it’s 2:38 and

nothing’s shaking, for goodness sake.


I think it must be nearly dawn.

Did I set the alarm? Did I forget

my medicine? Where are the cats?


But everything is fine. It’s fine.

It’s just the time and the fact 

that I’m awake, instantly awake.


And it’s not as if I struggle to return

to sleep. I can close my eyes and

drop plenty deep into the vivid spaces


and swim amidst my synapses


until I snap to again at 3:17.

I repeat to sleep, to sleep,

perchance to dream.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Poem: March 12, 2024

No One I run until I am invisible and free from the tendrils of the day and the treadmill and the others who fill this space, free of my gho...