So the purpose of this blog is to be a space to practice creativity. I am currently using it as a place to record a single, unedited poem for each day in 2019. While I attempt to write everyday, I may not actually post daily. Instead, I will post poems as they are completed, but one for everyday of the year. Not sure I can make it, but we'll see. It's fun to try regardless :)

Friday, August 20, 2021

Poem: August 17, 2021

Initiating Energy


It happens when

we analyze a poem.


I’m at the board

and I ask, 


What do you see?


And at first

the room hesitates, 

looks down 

at its collective feet


until one half-hand

has the half-courage

to half-lift itself up

just enough so I notice


and a quiet voice asks,


Did anyone else think it was weird that…


and then, yes, so many

ideas falling over each other- what if,

but couldn’t it, I imagined, why not, 

connotation, end stop, reversal, personification, tone-


and I say prove it 

and step aside to let the big idea bus through.


Then, 

when it all

winds down

to a long 

pause,


I say, Look at the title. Have you considered the title?


And then smile to hear the engine rev.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Poem: March 12, 2024

No One I run until I am invisible and free from the tendrils of the day and the treadmill and the others who fill this space, free of my gho...