So the purpose of this blog is to be a space to practice creativity. I am currently using it as a place to record a single, unedited poem for each day in 2019. While I attempt to write everyday, I may not actually post daily. Instead, I will post poems as they are completed, but one for everyday of the year. Not sure I can make it, but we'll see. It's fun to try regardless :)

Monday, December 30, 2019

Poem: December 30, 2019

Penultimate

So I did a thing
for an entire year.

I noted the world
and felt my place
within it.

First person, observer.

A thumbtack lifted
and placed each day
on a map, or

a sieve
passed through
an ocean.

And I saw all
the colors I saw.

And I touched
all the rough
surfaces I touched.

And I tasted food
and blood and
kisses.

I filtered it all
through my lungs,
my skin, and then,
out through my pen.

And to what end?

Except to say
I did this work and
didn't let so much
slip away unseen.

I learned that life
is what it seems
to be: little and
long and worthy
of the time and
sacrifices,

deserving of all
the small daily
temples we build

to love, to fear,
to what we can't see.

So I am grateful to
have stood my watch.

I am better for it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Poem: March 12, 2024

No One I run until I am invisible and free from the tendrils of the day and the treadmill and the others who fill this space, free of my gho...