So the purpose of this blog is to be a space to practice creativity. I am currently using it as a place to record a single, unedited poem for each day in 2019. While I attempt to write everyday, I may not actually post daily. Instead, I will post poems as they are completed, but one for everyday of the year. Not sure I can make it, but we'll see. It's fun to try regardless :)

Wednesday, November 20, 2019

Poem: November 20, 2019

Looking Forward

At eight years old you had
this amazing, brown-eyed stare.

I could look at you and you
would look right back,
straight-faced, eye to eye.

I have pictures of it. Your face
head-on, serious, clear
and honest eyes, not lifeless,
but not complicated, just
a straight and steady line,
enough to startle me, between
your eyes and mine.

I see one of those photographs
and I am reminded how
the world winds around us,
how we are defined and redefined,
and how our eyes are drawn
away and to the side until
we don't look deeply anywhere,
until we muddy our straight lines.

And maybe nothing's lost in that,
if we look askance in photographs,
or connect through stranger,
twisting paths, but I know
I miss the looking and I miss
the looking back.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Poem: March 12, 2024

No One I run until I am invisible and free from the tendrils of the day and the treadmill and the others who fill this space, free of my gho...