So the purpose of this blog is to be a space to practice creativity. I am currently using it as a place to record a single, unedited poem for each day in 2019. While I attempt to write everyday, I may not actually post daily. Instead, I will post poems as they are completed, but one for everyday of the year. Not sure I can make it, but we'll see. It's fun to try regardless :)

Friday, November 15, 2019

Poem: November 13, 2019

Say What You Mean. Mean What You Say.

I'll go ahead and state the obvious:
teachers are underpaid and able to see
what's empty and what is irony and
generally tired of being told how noble
their work, how cruel the necessity
of their sacrifices for the children,
the future, the public good. They are
tired of all the people who seem to
agree what a pity it is that teachers
aren't paid more, that there is only so
much public pie, that more people
with power don't prioritize supporting
the work of those, who like me,
wouldn't do otherwise than to love
every child and awaken within them
the possibility of wise and good lives,
to pack each child's bag with great gifts:
the unfolding density of all we have,
the treasures of our past, and the blue
crackling electricity of their own
potential energy, and great fistfuls of
catalysts and earnest wishes, and the
magnetic arrows of curiosity, and
the far-off songs we hope to sing.
Which is to say we see our long and
grave work, we know the mythic
nature of our worth, and we are worn
through and saddened to hear the world
say the empty words, Too bad. We wish
things weren't this way. It's a shame
we can't increase a teacher's pay.
We see now where we failed.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Poem: March 12, 2024

No One I run until I am invisible and free from the tendrils of the day and the treadmill and the others who fill this space, free of my gho...