So the purpose of this blog is to be a space to practice creativity. I am currently using it as a place to record a single, unedited poem for each day in 2019. While I attempt to write everyday, I may not actually post daily. Instead, I will post poems as they are completed, but one for everyday of the year. Not sure I can make it, but we'll see. It's fun to try regardless :)

Thursday, October 24, 2019

Poem: October 24, 2019

What Are You Complaining About?

I was once the five-year-old me, and
then the ten-year-old me, and the
sixteen and twenty-one and thirty-
year-old me, and I had to deal with
long-distance charges and rewinding
movies we'd rented. I used a card
catalog and looked up information in
books and edited with correction tape
and watched Scooby-Doo on a twelve
inch black and white TV at precisely
4:00 PM on weekday afternoons, and
had to run to the bathroom during
the commercial breaks. I took photos
with flashcubes and waited a week
to get them back, and I listened to
the Eagles and John Lennon on
8-Tracks. I drove a car that took
leaded gas, and in high school, I had
to take a typing class, and I remember
that my grandfather had shoe horns
and shaving brushes and a leather
punch and coffee cans full of nails.
And he also did the dishes by hand.
And one day, you will be the fifty-
year-old you, and I will be the eighty-
year-old me, and neither of us will
ever perceive the fact of our suffering.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Poem: March 12, 2024

No One I run until I am invisible and free from the tendrils of the day and the treadmill and the others who fill this space, free of my gho...