So the purpose of this blog is to be a space to practice creativity. I am currently using it as a place to record a single, unedited poem for each day in 2019. While I attempt to write everyday, I may not actually post daily. Instead, I will post poems as they are completed, but one for everyday of the year. Not sure I can make it, but we'll see. It's fun to try regardless :)

Wednesday, October 2, 2019

Poem: October 2, 2019

Rankings

I love you more than Sharpie pens,
and I love you more than whiskey.

I'd let go all my gadgets- my iPad,
iPhone and Apple watch and Mac-
if given just the five of you, I was
forced to only pick the one.

You're better by far than snack mix
and jambalaya and filet mignon.

I could turn my back every Saturday
on Notre Dame football, but I
could never turn my back on you.

I love you more than music. All
of it- Rock, Country, Opera, Rap.

You are more attractive than
a microphone, more compelling
than the sound of my own voice.

Given the choice, I'd choose you
over Netflix and Hulu and NPR.

In a list of all the cool things that
can be admired- among monkeys
and pirates and robots and ninjas,
I have to say you rank number one.

I love you more than backpacks
and my Leatherman multi-tool and
my Disney pins and Mickey ears
and even my band-collared shirt.

To me, you are the finest thing going.
You exceed nearly all else on Earth.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Poem: March 12, 2024

No One I run until I am invisible and free from the tendrils of the day and the treadmill and the others who fill this space, free of my gho...