So the purpose of this blog is to be a space to practice creativity. I am currently using it as a place to record a single, unedited poem for each day in 2019. While I attempt to write everyday, I may not actually post daily. Instead, I will post poems as they are completed, but one for everyday of the year. Not sure I can make it, but we'll see. It's fun to try regardless :)

Tuesday, October 22, 2019

Poem: October 17, 2019

Misdirection

It's a classic case of denial, I guess.
There are too many places to see
ourselves, and so I don't. I find a
picture of you and I, even the old
ones in which I recognize an echo
of myself, and you are the subject
I study, even when I am right there,
arm around you, I'm not. And when
I am projected live, big as life, in
some online meeting, the mirror of
myself up and juxtaposed to other
screens, I do not see me, so much
as a strange outline of me in the
clothing I remember I put on today,
a grey icon, anonymous, though I
still hear and love my own voice.
Even confronted with a bathroom
mirror, brushing my teeth, shaving
my face, I see only the one tooth,
the one patch of unlathered skin
as though I am merely peripheral,
a shadow, a foggy half-suggestion.
Otherwise, I am confronted with a
stranger in my house, a character
from a different story, another poem.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Poem: March 12, 2024

No One I run until I am invisible and free from the tendrils of the day and the treadmill and the others who fill this space, free of my gho...