So the purpose of this blog is to be a space to practice creativity. I am currently using it as a place to record a single, unedited poem for each day in 2019. While I attempt to write everyday, I may not actually post daily. Instead, I will post poems as they are completed, but one for everyday of the year. Not sure I can make it, but we'll see. It's fun to try regardless :)

Friday, September 6, 2019

Poem: September 5, 2019

For Dirck

It's good to be old friends with nothing
on the agenda, no product to sell, no
need to persuade. Just a long stretch
of time, a long river that wears away
the edges, a way of floating past all
the messes, or letting them pass by us.
This is the kindest kind of habit as
we fiddle about the kitchen for an hour
or two, pouring Manhattans with dark
Luxardo cherries and Martinis with
pickled okra for one another, trading
the pieces of the world- books, poetry,
a song or an interview we heard on NPR-
the pieces we've picked up and saved
for the spaces between turns rolling
the Trivial Pursuit dice. And isn't this
nice, isn't this good? If this is where
we've arrived, at the shore of our old
age, with still a nice stretch of stillness
in which to calcify and gather our moss,
then I am happy to be here with you,
the two of us, going nowhere, at least
nowhere in particular, comfortable and
slow and free to be both foolish and wise.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Poem: March 12, 2024

No One I run until I am invisible and free from the tendrils of the day and the treadmill and the others who fill this space, free of my gho...