So the purpose of this blog is to be a space to practice creativity. I am currently using it as a place to record a single, unedited poem for each day in 2019. While I attempt to write everyday, I may not actually post daily. Instead, I will post poems as they are completed, but one for everyday of the year. Not sure I can make it, but we'll see. It's fun to try regardless :)

Sunday, September 15, 2019

Poem: September 14, 2019

Some Ways I Don't Want You To Teach

Don't teach like a drill sergeant, all straight
lines and rules. Don't teach like anything is
simple or obvious or fits in a spreadsheet.

Don't teach like a first responder, finger on
the panic button, your only purpose to find
and put out fires. Try not to put out fires.

Don't teach like a fulcrum, balancing one
side against the other. You aren't a scale.
Don't fall in love with your answer keys.

Don't teach like a rocket, locked on a target,
racing mindlessly along a narrow path. Don't
be the shortest distance between two points.

Don't teach like the business world, guided
by a bottom line. Don't trust the market, or
believe that it is fair. Don't sell off the rack.

Don't teach like a commercial. Don't sell
yourself as a solution to be desired or an
idea to become. Don't define a kid's needs.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Poem: March 12, 2024

No One I run until I am invisible and free from the tendrils of the day and the treadmill and the others who fill this space, free of my gho...