So the purpose of this blog is to be a space to practice creativity. I am currently using it as a place to record a single, unedited poem for each day in 2019. While I attempt to write everyday, I may not actually post daily. Instead, I will post poems as they are completed, but one for everyday of the year. Not sure I can make it, but we'll see. It's fun to try regardless :)

Thursday, August 22, 2019

Poem: August 22, 2019

Figuring It Out

When you were eight years old,
I opened your bedroom door
two days after Christmas to find
that you had taken a screwdriver
and disassembled every toy that
we had given you- the robotic
dinosaur, the RC car, everything
we had saved for, everything we
had waited in late night lines for.

And I know you could not know
then the adult calculus that ripped
through my mind, the tectonic
parental shifting of complex
emotional layers, the blinding
ache of processing budgets and
mechanics and history and hopes,
while still cradling the one prime,
the more than myself that is you.

And as fathers do, I suppose, I
tried to respond in the language
of rules, to speak in the straight
lines of cause and effect and cost,
until that moment became a story
we told about you, a way to
explain who you are- tinkerer,
engineer, good with your hands-
a simple definition, something
we could work with, respond to.

As if anyone can be reduced to
common language, to a set of
ingredients, pulled from a human
pantry, mixed into a recipe, as if
who you are is mine to define,
as if I could ever have that right,
as if you weren't as immense as
an ocean, as separate as the moon,

but you are my boy, a cosmic
reality that cannot be reduced, or
diagrammed, or measured, or
limited, or plotted on a map.

And so I use these inadequate tools,
these broad-brush words to bring
you into focus, to create a sense
of knowing you, to define you
through this story as curious,
to imagine that you see the world
as something to be examined and
figured out, which comforts me
because I have a way to see myself
in you, I can begin to explain this
unexplainable aching and joyful
tide, pushed and pulled by you.

And today, though you are twenty-
two, I know that you cannot know
that it would break my heart to
think that you had already taken
the world apart and had decided
there was nothing magical there,
nothing there worth finding.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Poem: March 12, 2024

No One I run until I am invisible and free from the tendrils of the day and the treadmill and the others who fill this space, free of my gho...