So the purpose of this blog is to be a space to practice creativity. I am currently using it as a place to record a single, unedited poem for each day in 2019. While I attempt to write everyday, I may not actually post daily. Instead, I will post poems as they are completed, but one for everyday of the year. Not sure I can make it, but we'll see. It's fun to try regardless :)

Monday, August 12, 2019

Poem; August 11, 2019

Time And Relative Dimension In Space

I'd like to build a full-sized TARDIS
(the electric blue police box that Dr. Who
uses as his mode of transportation through
time and space) in my small back yard.

I'd enjoy the look of it there in the back bed,
planted among the tiger lilies and black-eyed
Susans, like it just materialized, light flashing
and making that mechanical wheeze, visible
from the bedroom, one would be tempted
to imagine grabbing a bag and dashing out
the door to discover the mysteries of life.

My wife thinks it's a bad idea. What would
you do with it, she asks, what would be
the point? I suppose we could make use of it
as a yard barn, keep the rakes and shovels there.
Maybe use it as a potting shed, or a place
to store the wood for the fire pit. It could be
a tiny library. You know it wouldn't actually
be bigger on the inside, my wife says.

And really, it's not fair to make her be so
realistic, to be the one who has to say no.
I know she has her own forms of whimsy, but
with so much to do- seal the chimney, finish
the basement, replace the back door, weed
the beds- a project like a full-sized TARDIS
would seem superfluous to any reasonable person.

But on fall days, I bet it would look especially
nice, as the maple leaves- all red and orange-
pile up around its door, and it stands tall and
solid and blue, a curious monument to how
many places we might go, a tribute to the fact
that our lives can always have the potential to
surprise us when the wind kicks up and we
step across the threshold despite ourselves.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Poem: March 12, 2024

No One I run until I am invisible and free from the tendrils of the day and the treadmill and the others who fill this space, free of my gho...