So the purpose of this blog is to be a space to practice creativity. I am currently using it as a place to record a single, unedited poem for each day in 2019. While I attempt to write everyday, I may not actually post daily. Instead, I will post poems as they are completed, but one for everyday of the year. Not sure I can make it, but we'll see. It's fun to try regardless :)

Wednesday, July 17, 2019

Poem: July 17, 2019

Reading with the Kids

You read to them because it's intimate,
huddling close together, just before sleep,
around the bright pages, breathing the pop
and crack of familiar words, reciting together
the incantations that bring the images out
of the pages and into the space between you.

Did I ever tell you that Mrs. McCave had
twenty-three sons and she named them all Dave...

And you read to them because in this circle
words detach themselves from your lives,
unstick themselves from the ordinary and hard
surfaces, and they become objects to stack
and rearrange, ideas to be tasted, sounds
to be smeared like paint, laughed at and erased,
passed back and forth, kept when they resonate.

Sophies love tacos, you say.

And for a few years, it's a lovely way to play.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Poem: March 12, 2024

No One I run until I am invisible and free from the tendrils of the day and the treadmill and the others who fill this space, free of my gho...