So the purpose of this blog is to be a space to practice creativity. I am currently using it as a place to record a single, unedited poem for each day in 2019. While I attempt to write everyday, I may not actually post daily. Instead, I will post poems as they are completed, but one for everyday of the year. Not sure I can make it, but we'll see. It's fun to try regardless :)

Wednesday, May 8, 2019

Poem: May 8, 2019

This Is How Hitler Happened

The goldfish you brought home 
to our apartment from a night out 
at the fair with your mother's parents
swam like mad in its thin plastic bag, 
filled with unnaturally blue water, 
the color of mouthwash or Windex.

There ought to have been some rules 
written into the divorce decree to cover 
situations like this, but there you were, 
smiling and sticky and fascinated at six 
and three, so we dumped our new pet 
into the only workable receptacle I had-
a Lenox crystal bowl that had somehow 
made it into my pile during the dividing. 

Seriously, I didn't expect the creature 
to last. It came from a festival game.
In blue water. We set it in the kitchen
next to the stove with the broken burner. 
We didn't give it a name, and to my 
knowledge,  we never fed it. We certainly 
never went out of our way to purchase 
real fish food that we could shake 
like seasoning into its leaded home. 

When the water evaporated about half-
way down the bowl, I'd run it under the tap, 
unleashing a cloud of filth that would 
eventually settle- a cruel existence 
that lasted a stunning nine months.

I know I could have ended the waiting,
poured the whole mess into the toilet 
or through the disposal during one 
of the long stretches you spent at 
your mother's house, but I was afraid 
to face it, to face you, to explain, and 
I think I needed something to hate.  
At night, alone in the kitchen, I would 
stare into the bowl and ask, "Why 
don't you die?" It's weird that I used 
to think that story was funny.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Poem: March 12, 2024

No One I run until I am invisible and free from the tendrils of the day and the treadmill and the others who fill this space, free of my gho...