So the purpose of this blog is to be a space to practice creativity. I am currently using it as a place to record a single, unedited poem for each day in 2019. While I attempt to write everyday, I may not actually post daily. Instead, I will post poems as they are completed, but one for everyday of the year. Not sure I can make it, but we'll see. It's fun to try regardless :)

Tuesday, May 21, 2019

Poem: May 20, 2019

Abnormal Behavior

If you knew I was writing you poems
you might come to expect it, you might
eventually say You used to write me poems,
but you don't do that anymore. And I 
would have to find the time, prioritize
writing over the long list of other things,
like going to the gym or remodeling
the basement, which is what I do already:
I write you poems first. You just don't
know it. I've been tempted several times
to tell you. I think I have even said
What if I wrote you a poem? and you 
looked at me like you were thinking
As if... and I thought to myself If you 
only knew, and I felt a little smug. Imagine
the lovely moment we might have when
I handed you a stack of poems, so many
meditations on you, on us, on love and
its odd complications and quiet corners.
Would you swoon? I'd love it if you 
swooned, but you don't seem much for
swooning. And that lovely moment
could only be lovely once, and I'd expect
so much, which could only feel like
some obligation from which we would
both have to move on, and then I'd
worry about what would happen to
the poems (where would you keep them?)
and about sustainability, and would any
poem come to me as naturally as these?
And isn't it better to write you poems
in secret and let them dance in the shadows
of our life like imps, like Eros, like
the scent of flowers on the wind? I know
you'd have an answer if you knew. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Poem: March 12, 2024

No One I run until I am invisible and free from the tendrils of the day and the treadmill and the others who fill this space, free of my gho...