So the purpose of this blog is to be a space to practice creativity. I am currently using it as a place to record a single, unedited poem for each day in 2019. While I attempt to write everyday, I may not actually post daily. Instead, I will post poems as they are completed, but one for everyday of the year. Not sure I can make it, but we'll see. It's fun to try regardless :)

Friday, April 5, 2019

Poem: March 31, 2019

Trying to Look Busy

It isn't fair, I know, that I ask you
to keep track of time, the details,
the scheduling of our lives. Or that
I tease you that we are always late.

We live busy lives, and some things
are bound to fall through the cracks.
We are late for the art show or miss
some deadline, and you take the blame.

While it must appear that I'm muddling through,
a passenger in your car, another child to herd
out the door, one more detail to be managed.
You've mentioned that I can seem oblivious.

And, truly, some details fait to occur
to me as having the importance you seem
to have assigned them: What on earth are you
wearing? Why hasn't the homework been done?

But I managed, I managed to get along
with very little crashing down upon me
before we took our vows to one another
and even now I tend to other details,

such as the keeping of our poetic history
and the stoking of our metaphorical fires.
I am cultivating our creative spaces, and
filling the pantry we use to feed our souls.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Poem: March 12, 2024

No One I run until I am invisible and free from the tendrils of the day and the treadmill and the others who fill this space, free of my gho...