So the purpose of this blog is to be a space to practice creativity. I am currently using it as a place to record a single, unedited poem for each day in 2019. While I attempt to write everyday, I may not actually post daily. Instead, I will post poems as they are completed, but one for everyday of the year. Not sure I can make it, but we'll see. It's fun to try regardless :)

Saturday, March 9, 2019

Poem: March 9, 2019

And Now I Drive a Minivan 

My early cars were real adventures,
a rogue's gallery of handed-down junkers
making their final stops before the tow truck
and the scrap yard. There was the yellow Nova
that my parents had driven across the country
and that smelled like wood smoke when I turned
the heater on in winter, followed by that red
1975 Ford pickup with the manual transmission
that was scary as hell if you found yourself
stopped at a red light on a hill- a half-ton
tank that was just as likely to roll backward
as to make it up the hill- but at least I learned
how to signal when the blinker didn't work,
how to duct-tape a leaky hose and how
to diagnose the puddles I left in the driveway.

The Mazda was my favorite and she hung on
for a while: long enough to enable my first job
delivering pizzas, long enough to haul my stuff
to college, and long enough to bear witness
to my first through fifth traffic tickets. Damn,
that zippy little GLC felt like an extension
of myself at 18, when in the summer heat
I would crank open the moonroof and slide
in a cassette- the fuzzy sound of the Police
pushing at the limits of the speakers, and
I had those fake switches that I bought at
Spencers that were labeled Ejector Seat
and Rocket Launcher and Booster Engines.

That was a car you felt like you were wearing,
less a vehicle than a pair of jeans, ripped
in all the right places and with pockets full
of empty bottles, cigarettes, books and old maps.
It's a dirty kind of love you feel driving
around in the uncertain teenage streets, and a car
like that will pull you places, race your heart.
The rattling power of the driver's seat feels
as solid and real as heartbreak, as consequential as curves.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Poem: March 12, 2024

No One I run until I am invisible and free from the tendrils of the day and the treadmill and the others who fill this space, free of my gho...