So the purpose of this blog is to be a space to practice creativity. I am currently using it as a place to record a single, unedited poem for each day in 2019. While I attempt to write everyday, I may not actually post daily. Instead, I will post poems as they are completed, but one for everyday of the year. Not sure I can make it, but we'll see. It's fun to try regardless :)

Monday, February 11, 2019

Poem: February 9, 2019

Shovel and Gloves

My mother is a gardener and has been all of my life.
She tends to the plots and beds that surround her house;
she tends to her house, and every room in her house;
she tends to the people there, and the food
and the little details that people notice and set a mood.
My mother stoops and gathers for long hours,
prepares the ground, mists the leaves, adds, removes.

My mother's hands are as strong as youth, and you'd
think they must be to shape the world, to prune
the thick limbs that have grown too long, to work
into the soil and pull free the deep roots to impose
herself upon the wild spaces and shape them into gardens.

Gardens must be for my mother the places
that can be made to listen, to move, to be improved.
My mother gardens with a long view and the tools
of an artist. She layers and mixes the hues, and she
chooses the textures and elevations of features,
she juxtaposes colors, she minds shape and shade.
My mother pulls forward the potential view,
and she uses her fingertips to pinch away that which intrudes.

And everyone who knows my mother must conclude
that she seems to easily touch the world, to nudge
every milieu into place, to leave every room,
or meal, or porch, or nursery, more suitable, more true.
And they are quick to note how very much they admire
her sense of style, her eye for detail, the remarkable
artistry with which she arranges her home.
And, of course, she glows in her role as hostess.
She reaps with the same intensity as she sows.

What's not to admire about a woman who cares so much
to create the beautiful gardens we wander, and who
bends her back to work her will upon the world.
Who serves, who serves, who serves and owns the world.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Poem: March 12, 2024

No One I run until I am invisible and free from the tendrils of the day and the treadmill and the others who fill this space, free of my gho...