So the purpose of this blog is to be a space to practice creativity. I am currently using it as a place to record a single, unedited poem for each day in 2019. While I attempt to write everyday, I may not actually post daily. Instead, I will post poems as they are completed, but one for everyday of the year. Not sure I can make it, but we'll see. It's fun to try regardless :)

Monday, January 13, 2020

Poem: January 11, 2020

Flabby

So easily it comes to this:
rotund profile,
straining at the waist,
and just a little more winded
when walking up the stairs.

So easy to forgive yourself
a second serving of potatoes,
another handful of salt,
ice cream and brownies
again tonight.
A bigger dish, a bigger spoon.

So easy to sit and to forget
to stand and walk around,
to forego the stroll,
to fail to go spend the hour
sweating at the gym.

So easy to just grow and grow
and ignore the aches
and trouble bending down
to reach the thing there
on the floor.

So easy to accept fatigue
and boredom, to choose
the couch and refuse to reach
for something more,
and to let exhaustion fill
your hours and eat its way
into your core.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Poem: March 12, 2024

No One I run until I am invisible and free from the tendrils of the day and the treadmill and the others who fill this space, free of my gho...