So the purpose of this blog is to be a space to practice creativity. I am currently using it as a place to record a single, unedited poem for each day in 2019. While I attempt to write everyday, I may not actually post daily. Instead, I will post poems as they are completed, but one for everyday of the year. Not sure I can make it, but we'll see. It's fun to try regardless :)

Monday, August 26, 2019

Poem: August 26, 2019

Post Cards

Maybe if we had written poetry
instead of the usual Having 
a great time! Wish you were here!
we could have rescued the pleasure
of sending post cards, with their
maps and landscapes and slice-
of-life photography. Now it's all
low-brow humor, beer and busty
women. Something to be hung up,
where?, in a garage or bar? In
a fraternity house, I suppose, but
in college, I remember collecting
post cards, filling whole cork
boards and walls with Monet's
Waterlilies and Millais' Ophelia,
Count Basie in mid-performance,
a cow alone in an autumn field,
Bob Dylan, Han Solo, a black
and white still life of a microphone.
Rectangles to contemplate at odd
angles, a canvas, when flipped,
for a few lines- a haiku or rhymed
couplet, and who can say how
things might have been different,
had they been addressed and
dropped in the outgoing mail?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Poem: March 12, 2024

No One I run until I am invisible and free from the tendrils of the day and the treadmill and the others who fill this space, free of my gho...