So the purpose of this blog is to be a space to practice creativity. I am currently using it as a place to record a single, unedited poem for each day in 2019. While I attempt to write everyday, I may not actually post daily. Instead, I will post poems as they are completed, but one for everyday of the year. Not sure I can make it, but we'll see. It's fun to try regardless :)

Sunday, July 14, 2019

Poem: July 14, 2019

I Get Up First in the Morning

Not because it isn't a burden.
In some ways it is, just as
anything that requires our
energy is a burden. So much
easier to stay at rest. That's
the law. But most nights I
set the alarm and most
mornings I swing my legs
over the edge of the bed and
engage the gears of my
autopilot until I find myself
somewhere in the middle
of my morning process,
brushing my teeth or feeding
the cats, suddenly aware of
the quiet that lives here in
our house, that fills the house
when we are sleeping, and
forgive me, I covet this
empty aloneness, this hidden
solitude. I swim in it with
long, slow strokes, I breathe
it deeply, I climb to the top
of it and look about. I am
the king of shifting light and
new shadow, the secret
emperor of silence, master
of all that is undisturbed.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Poem: March 12, 2024

No One I run until I am invisible and free from the tendrils of the day and the treadmill and the others who fill this space, free of my gho...