So the purpose of this blog is to be a space to practice creativity. I am currently using it as a place to record a single, unedited poem for each day in 2019. While I attempt to write everyday, I may not actually post daily. Instead, I will post poems as they are completed, but one for everyday of the year. Not sure I can make it, but we'll see. It's fun to try regardless :)

Tuesday, May 11, 2021

Poem: May 6, 2021

 Early Riser

My alarm doesn’t go off at 4:30 AM 

because I am some early bird hoping

to catch the proverbial worm unaware.

I don’t take an hour to do my hair

or choose my clothes or commute to work.

And I don’t run a mile before I shower

or whip up stacks of pancakes while

my family grabs their extra winks.


No, mostly, I just sit here quietly

And work my puzzles while the light

Shifts its colors through the windows

And the world outside sharpens its edges.

I watch the cats pad across the kitchen

and enjoy their silences and remember

the French words for this or that. I take

everything slow. Je prends tout lentement.

And sometimes there is thunder in the distance.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Poem: March 12, 2024

No One I run until I am invisible and free from the tendrils of the day and the treadmill and the others who fill this space, free of my gho...