So the purpose of this blog is to be a space to practice creativity. I am currently using it as a place to record a single, unedited poem for each day in 2019. While I attempt to write everyday, I may not actually post daily. Instead, I will post poems as they are completed, but one for everyday of the year. Not sure I can make it, but we'll see. It's fun to try regardless :)

Thursday, December 26, 2019

Poem: December 26, 2019

Boxing Day

Boxing Day isn't our holiday
since we are neither British
nor Victorians, and the idea
that we could ever afford to
employ servants is laughable.
More likely, we would be the
downstairs help, tending to
the wash, polishing the brass,
until this day on which we
would enjoy a few hours away,
finishing off the leftover goose
and pudding and candied fruit.

Not our holiday, no, and not
actually our lot in life, but
being the Anglophile that I am,
I like to note the 26th, and
explain to the uninformed,
the significance of Boxing Day,
and after so much indulgence,
I do see the pleasure in less.
Less waste. Less noisiness.

I like to imagine the clean lines
of boxes wrapped in plain
brown paper, tied with twine.
I like the idea of the gift of
idleness and the romance of
returning home, a whole pantry
in hand, to a humble bit
happy time with my family,
the second-hand efficiencies of
thrift paired to the grand sigh
of a day without work to do.

And I enjoy the thought of
a great empty house with fewer
people and less bustling about.
So quiet, you can hear the snip
of the cigar cutter and the
updraft in the fireplace and
across the house, the echo of
footsteps on a marble floor.
More uninterrupted space and
a dormant place to pause and
rest one's eyes. One quiet day
before we give in to obligation.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Poem: March 12, 2024

No One I run until I am invisible and free from the tendrils of the day and the treadmill and the others who fill this space, free of my gho...