So the purpose of this blog is to be a space to practice creativity. I am currently using it as a place to record a single, unedited poem for each day in 2019. While I attempt to write everyday, I may not actually post daily. Instead, I will post poems as they are completed, but one for everyday of the year. Not sure I can make it, but we'll see. It's fun to try regardless :)

Monday, December 23, 2019

Poem: December 23, 2019

Wrapped

It seems we've been wrapping
for weeks now.

Yards of paper, miles of tape
covering over our surfaces

burying the normal and
the work-a-day under
our annual festive landscape.

We've hung hundreds
of ornaments and strewn
dozens of snowmen
about the house.

We've replaced the tea towels
with Christmas tea towels,
the soaps and mugs
with holiday soaps and mugs.

The songs we play,
the candles we light,
all season-specific, the same
story we tell about ourselves,
only larger, deeper.

But we've moved my easy chair
from the living room
to make space for the tree,

and reduced our number
of workable surfaces to give
reindeer and Santas and
nutcrackers a place to be.

We've made room for Jesus.

And the kitchen counters,
covered with a snowfall
of flour from all the baking,
and the cookie tins stacked high
and full too many cookies.

And our diet, as rich as it is
this time of year, means even we
are wrapped in extra layers,

and even our clothes
are red and green and Christmas-
themed, and

nothing is boring, and
nothing is slow, and
everything, everything is stuffed
full to spilling, and so, and so,

I'd like to do some unwrapping,
some stripping away of layers.

Just you and me and my big chair.
Some boredom and somewhere to sit.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Poem: March 12, 2024

No One I run until I am invisible and free from the tendrils of the day and the treadmill and the others who fill this space, free of my gho...