So the purpose of this blog is to be a space to practice creativity. I am currently using it as a place to record a single, unedited poem for each day in 2019. While I attempt to write everyday, I may not actually post daily. Instead, I will post poems as they are completed, but one for everyday of the year. Not sure I can make it, but we'll see. It's fun to try regardless :)

Saturday, December 21, 2019

Poem: December 21, 2019

Charity

I give because there have been some
times when I couldn't give,
and even more when I didn't give
even though I could, when,

I suppose, I felt entitled

to the enough that I had, and
for that I feel badly.

Even now, of course,
I do not give enough, ungrateful
as I am for

my warm house
with all its broken and leaking things,

for all the food in the pantry
I do not feel like cooking,

for the paychecks
within whose means I stubbornly
fail to live,

I give. Of course I give,
but not like one who does with less.
And yes, I have beed someone
to do with less, grateful for
the pieces at the edges of the plate

which may now feed my covetousness,

but I know better, and I am
self-aware and hopeful for
your forgiveness for the little that I give.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Poem: March 12, 2024

No One I run until I am invisible and free from the tendrils of the day and the treadmill and the others who fill this space, free of my gho...