So the purpose of this blog is to be a space to practice creativity. I am currently using it as a place to record a single, unedited poem for each day in 2019. While I attempt to write everyday, I may not actually post daily. Instead, I will post poems as they are completed, but one for everyday of the year. Not sure I can make it, but we'll see. It's fun to try regardless :)

Wednesday, October 9, 2019

Poem: October 8, 2019

Ode to My Son

Quick and clever and easily
the funniest person I know,
I delight in you when you
arch your eyebrows, cock
your head sideways, and
observe just how absurd we
all are. You have a charming
way of laying out the facts,
of never letting anything
seem so serious, so essential
it merits an angry response.
I like how you live your life
so imprecisely, how you
seem to paint with a sloppy
brush, how you smile and
open your eyes wide at the
ironies, the small human
delights, and I like the
impressionistic distances
you create, blurring over
the things I find rigid and
delineated, softening your
focus until even sharp edges
and dark storm fronts are
only shading in a broader
picture. All your life, you
have caused me to cheer for
your unfocusing, for your
power to remain undefined.
In you, I see the warmest
impulse, the healing brush,
the impossible wisdom of
perspective, the exception to
all the unconscionable rules.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Poem: March 12, 2024

No One I run until I am invisible and free from the tendrils of the day and the treadmill and the others who fill this space, free of my gho...