So the purpose of this blog is to be a space to practice creativity. I am currently using it as a place to record a single, unedited poem for each day in 2019. While I attempt to write everyday, I may not actually post daily. Instead, I will post poems as they are completed, but one for everyday of the year. Not sure I can make it, but we'll see. It's fun to try regardless :)

Thursday, October 24, 2019

Poem: October 22, 2019

Early Humans

I like kids when they are excited
to tell you about who they are and
what they are working at. Some
kid comes racing across the room
waving a paper full of finger paint
or clutching a bunch of popsicle
sticks, and so ready for you to know
what their last fifteen minutes have
looked like that they can barely get
the words out in the right order,
and you know they are feeling their
oats, that you are the audience of
a great and revelatory act, evidence
of genius, a world-altering first
performance. Imagine what that
little brain is doing. Imagine the
electricity surging and the new
paths being trampled open. A tiny
mad scientist raises her fists up to
the sky, flush with the power of
creation, daring the universe to
look away, daring the world to
find fault, certain that her gifts,
rising so naturally from within her
cannot possibly have any limitations.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Poem: March 12, 2024

No One I run until I am invisible and free from the tendrils of the day and the treadmill and the others who fill this space, free of my gho...