So the purpose of this blog is to be a space to practice creativity. I am currently using it as a place to record a single, unedited poem for each day in 2019. While I attempt to write everyday, I may not actually post daily. Instead, I will post poems as they are completed, but one for everyday of the year. Not sure I can make it, but we'll see. It's fun to try regardless :)

Wednesday, September 11, 2019

Poem: September 10, 2019

Percival Sherlock, My Cat

Around five AM on weekday mornings,
after my shower and after I've dressed
myself for work by the dim, secondary
light of the closet, I finally arrive, shoes
in hand, to this moment in which I sit
on the corner of the bed and find that
you are there, reliably there, waiting
for me to scratch behind your pointed
ears, back and around and under your
chin, until you flop down, your head
hanging over the edge, leaving dots of
cat drool and totally relaxed and limp
while I run my hand gently over the
length of your body, down to the very
tip of your tail that flicks a slow and
contented flick, and I flatten you like
a pillow, I smooth you like a blanket,
I roll you out like dough, imagining I
am easing you into the day, as if this
were some long-standing agreement,
some contract I had signed, some soft
rite that I observe with devotion even
though it takes no more than a couple
of minutes, and ends when you say it
does- if I stop too soon, you bite, and
if I go too long, you bite harder- so I
am careful to pay attention to the cues,
the width of your eyes, the slapping
of your tail, I get it, we all have lines
that we draw, limited patience. It's no
wonder people used to worship cats.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Poem: March 12, 2024

No One I run until I am invisible and free from the tendrils of the day and the treadmill and the others who fill this space, free of my gho...