So the purpose of this blog is to be a space to practice creativity. I am currently using it as a place to record a single, unedited poem for each day in 2019. While I attempt to write everyday, I may not actually post daily. Instead, I will post poems as they are completed, but one for everyday of the year. Not sure I can make it, but we'll see. It's fun to try regardless :)

Saturday, August 31, 2019

Poem: August 30, 2019

Drawing Horses on the Program

At the funeral, I am interested
in the kids, the little girls with
their hair pulled tight into bows,
the boys with their scruffiness
and sports jackets. One child
spends most of the eulogy
flopped around her mother's
neck, looking back at me and
when the solemn hymn begins,
she claps her hands. My own
daughter, older, lowers her head
during prayer to fidget at the
buttons on her dress and flip
the program, front to back,
looking for something else to
read. As adults, we come to
recognize the structures of this
ceremony, our purpose here.
We let go. We say what needs
to be said. We hold our hands
out just so. We stand and brace
against an invisible storm that
we all have had to lean into, but
the children, not as used to the
comforts of hard and formal
surfaces, not as comfortable
with the tightness of ties and
dress shoes, still find in this
space their quiet ways to play.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Poem: March 12, 2024

No One I run until I am invisible and free from the tendrils of the day and the treadmill and the others who fill this space, free of my gho...