So the purpose of this blog is to be a space to practice creativity. I am currently using it as a place to record a single, unedited poem for each day in 2019. While I attempt to write everyday, I may not actually post daily. Instead, I will post poems as they are completed, but one for everyday of the year. Not sure I can make it, but we'll see. It's fun to try regardless :)

Tuesday, July 9, 2019

Poem: July 9, 2019

Pinot Grigio

I had this dream last night
in which I was sitting at
my desk which, of course,
is not my desk, (but who
can account for such things
in dreams), and it was early
enough that I was among
the first people in the office,
but Velinda, my boss, was
there peeking over the edge
of my cubicle wall to ask
a question, and that is when
I saw that there was a glass
of Pinot Grigio, still cool
with condensation, right
there on my desk, which
(I don't need to tell you)
is not allowed in the office,
and really, could not be
explained away; although,
dream-me made a go of it,
despite my own surprise
at the wine's existence,
there, on my desk, next to
the lamp, and even though
the dream continued on to
include many more settings
and multiple interactions
with a variety of people, I
woke up thinking about
that glass of wine, and I
thought about the story
Dad tells about looking
down at his desk one day
and seeing that he had two
lit cigarettes burning in
the ashtray, and knowing
in that moment that it was
time to quit. And that's a
hard thing because that glass
of wine looked delicious.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Poem: March 12, 2024

No One I run until I am invisible and free from the tendrils of the day and the treadmill and the others who fill this space, free of my gho...