So the purpose of this blog is to be a space to practice creativity. I am currently using it as a place to record a single, unedited poem for each day in 2019. While I attempt to write everyday, I may not actually post daily. Instead, I will post poems as they are completed, but one for everyday of the year. Not sure I can make it, but we'll see. It's fun to try regardless :)

Monday, June 24, 2019

Poem: June 22, 2019

Otters

You and I, floating together,
my hand holding onto the edges
of your inner tube and laced
loosely with your fingers, smooth
and in quiet conversation, the kind
of talking with long pauses, but
with no interruptions, just lazy
observations- how blue the sky is,
how cool the water- and the others
are drifting farther away downstream,
splashing and careening through
the rapids, dancing over the rocks,
off in the distance, in another place,
but don't the clouds seem closer,
and doesn't the highway seem to fade
into the periphery like a dream as we
move in our own slow current down
the Little Pigeon River, just holding
on and wishing we could roll along
like otters, holding hands and drifting
through the sunlit afternoon.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Poem: March 12, 2024

No One I run until I am invisible and free from the tendrils of the day and the treadmill and the others who fill this space, free of my gho...