So the purpose of this blog is to be a space to practice creativity. I am currently using it as a place to record a single, unedited poem for each day in 2019. While I attempt to write everyday, I may not actually post daily. Instead, I will post poems as they are completed, but one for everyday of the year. Not sure I can make it, but we'll see. It's fun to try regardless :)

Wednesday, June 19, 2019

Poem: June 19, 2019

Returning Home

There is always that strange smell
upon opening the doors to our house
after a week away- Is this what we
smell like usually? Have we somehow
grown used to the smells we picked up
along the way, or have our travels
somehow washed away the smells
of home from off our bodies? Either
way, the cats seem suspicious, but
I'm more concerned, as I have been
since I was a little boy, that we're
smelling the smells of the people
who hide in our house until we pack
up our luggage and drive away.
I imagine our dust family reading
our books, wearing our clothes,
leaving just the one glass in the sink,
returning over and over to the pantry,
annoyed at us, trying to say something
by hiding the cookies or spoiling
the milk. And one gets the sense that
they linger in the house even when
we've returned, making all our noise.
Best to open the windows, to light
a candle or two to chase them out.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Poem: March 12, 2024

No One I run until I am invisible and free from the tendrils of the day and the treadmill and the others who fill this space, free of my gho...