So the purpose of this blog is to be a space to practice creativity. I am currently using it as a place to record a single, unedited poem for each day in 2019. While I attempt to write everyday, I may not actually post daily. Instead, I will post poems as they are completed, but one for everyday of the year. Not sure I can make it, but we'll see. It's fun to try regardless :)

Friday, June 14, 2019

Poem: June 11, 2019

Sometimes I Think About the Other Dove

Sometimes I think about the other dove,
of arks and floods and mated pairs and love.

They must have thought they'd won some lottery
as they flew into the last menagerie.

And for forty days as they took their guilty rest
with those left behind still beating in their chest,

they knew, at least, the comfort of shared grief
and could warm themselves in a promise, in the belief

that the last of doves might also be the first,
their hatchlings never knowing want or thirst.

Blessed like the camels, the kangaroos and ravens,
to be paired and safe within their floating haven

until the man took one dove in his hand
and sent it in the darkness to find land,

and so the other dove was left to wait-
the only animal without a mate.

What was it like to perch there all alone,
your only other lost to the unknown?

Did comfort cease? Did millet lose its taste?
Was their promised picture now erased?

How cruel to have to imagine pending grief
until your love should find the olive leaf!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Poem: March 12, 2024

No One I run until I am invisible and free from the tendrils of the day and the treadmill and the others who fill this space, free of my gho...