So the purpose of this blog is to be a space to practice creativity. I am currently using it as a place to record a single, unedited poem for each day in 2019. While I attempt to write everyday, I may not actually post daily. Instead, I will post poems as they are completed, but one for everyday of the year. Not sure I can make it, but we'll see. It's fun to try regardless :)

Wednesday, April 24, 2019

Poem: April 22, 2019

Get Out the Map

You feel it in between your bones,
a stretching impulse, potential
energy wound tight, pulled back,
and aimed at an open road.

We ache. I feel it. Both of us
itchy, checking our watches,
aware of the weather, unsettled
because we are not in this moment
who we want to be, sitting here
behind our desks, directed at
screens and balancing spreadsheets
and breathing the air conditioning.

Imagine. Just ten hours and we
could be taking in the sea,
our feet sunk deep into the sand
and day-drinking rum, feeling
our muscles let go and our breathing
slow, pulling down some vitamin D.

It makes me wonder why we choose
to land where we do and put down roots
so far away from the salt air and
the cradle of the waves, unless it is
to be sure that we won't be tempted
to kick off our shoes, loosen a tie
and cross a threshold we can't uncross.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Poem: March 12, 2024

No One I run until I am invisible and free from the tendrils of the day and the treadmill and the others who fill this space, free of my gho...