So the purpose of this blog is to be a space to practice creativity. I am currently using it as a place to record a single, unedited poem for each day in 2019. While I attempt to write everyday, I may not actually post daily. Instead, I will post poems as they are completed, but one for everyday of the year. Not sure I can make it, but we'll see. It's fun to try regardless :)

Friday, March 15, 2019

Poem: March 15, 2019

A God To Swallow Us Whole

Write a poem about the ocean
and how it seems to breathe,
inhaling us toward the edges
of its dark and restless lungs.

Try to explain its strange power
to orient us all like sunflowers
to the sun, staring, staring,
at the stacked coastal palette-
blue, grey, tan, white- a gradient
in the light until the sun drops away
and the sky twists upon itself like pink
and orange paper, crumpled to create
its rough and fleshy evening texture.

Remind me how we feel, stepping
closer together across the hard sand
and being taken in an ankle-deep gasp
into the mouth of the cool, salty tide.

Tell me how the wind blows
like insistent whispers across
our bodies and about the lights
we might see blinking on the horizon
like a will-o-the-wisp. Tell me how,
even now and from so far away
we ache, we ache to follow.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Poem: March 12, 2024

No One I run until I am invisible and free from the tendrils of the day and the treadmill and the others who fill this space, free of my gho...