So the purpose of this blog is to be a space to practice creativity. I am currently using it as a place to record a single, unedited poem for each day in 2019. While I attempt to write everyday, I may not actually post daily. Instead, I will post poems as they are completed, but one for everyday of the year. Not sure I can make it, but we'll see. It's fun to try regardless :)

Friday, February 1, 2019

Poem: January 29, 2019

Wisely and Slow. They Stumble That Run Fast

We live in a world that comes to us like a storm and we stand
in the middle of the street and let the tempest twist and swirl
around us, motionless and entertained, our ravenous brains
conduits for the fast-paced colors, the sensations that pass.
So much motion while so little makes an impression beyond
the momentary racing of our hearts, the catching of our throats.
But damn, there is a lot of it, and it's colorful and noisy and
there is always room for another strange reflection in the glass
spaces we visit with our scanning eyes and darting minds, and
we know, don't we, that none of this is real, just our fantasies
projected onto every imaginable space, something to chase.

But I want to say I remember
that I have shared slower moments.
I have felt what it is like to do things
that have substance and that move
to the rhythms of my own body.

I have hiked along shaded trails
in the afternoon, holding your hand.
I have kicked my feet through cool water
at the edge of a pool, watching
our children as they glide and rise
to the surface.
I have sat quietly
beside a fire and enjoyed
the stillness of an owl
perched in a nearby tree.

We've danced,
and I've touched your fingertips,
and lingered, imagined.
And I know how it feels to stop time.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Poem: March 12, 2024

No One I run until I am invisible and free from the tendrils of the day and the treadmill and the others who fill this space, free of my gho...