So the purpose of this blog is to be a space to practice creativity. I am currently using it as a place to record a single, unedited poem for each day in 2019. While I attempt to write everyday, I may not actually post daily. Instead, I will post poems as they are completed, but one for everyday of the year. Not sure I can make it, but we'll see. It's fun to try regardless :)

Friday, February 1, 2019

Poem: January 22, 2019

Here's What I Like About Whiskey

Pop the cork out of a good bottle of whiskey
and smell the contradiction of the bright and dark
caramel at the neck. Go ahead and catch a drop
from the side of the bottle. The taste is a soft spark
that anticipates the ritual of drinking.
I prefer a rocks glass, with a single oversized cube,
something to clink but not rattle.
Then, two fingers high of bourbon or rye,
a slow, golden amber pour before you hear
the first crack of the cube, a physical
reaction that echoes for a second inside the glass.
For me, a Manhattan, a splash of sweet vermouth,
two droppers full of dark cherry or orange bitters,
and three Luxardo cherries that rest at the bottom,
drinking in the whiskey until the four of us meet,
and finally the sweet bite of each drunken fruit.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Poem: March 12, 2024

No One I run until I am invisible and free from the tendrils of the day and the treadmill and the others who fill this space, free of my gho...