So the purpose of this blog is to be a space to practice creativity. I am currently using it as a place to record a single, unedited poem for each day in 2019. While I attempt to write everyday, I may not actually post daily. Instead, I will post poems as they are completed, but one for everyday of the year. Not sure I can make it, but we'll see. It's fun to try regardless :)

Friday, February 1, 2019

Poem: January 19, 2019

Looking Up

There is water damage on our bedroom ceiling
which has been getting worse with each hard rain.
I'm to the point that I dread the weather forecast,
the threat of rain, as they say.

This isn't the first time we've been through this.
A few years back we returned home from Florida
to discover the drywall fallen like broken sponges
across our bed, the dressers, the carpet.

We put in a new metal roof, new carpet, fresh drywall-
a complete redo that felt like a form of freedom-
and it was a surprise pleasure to walk through
the mudroom and into, what, Spring?

We have lots of theories for what's causing this:
the pitch of the roof, poor water-proofing
around the chimney, the wrath of God.
All I know is that with each new stain,

with every chipping away of the plaster
at the seams, I am reminded that we
can patch and sand and paint and refresh,
but everything, everything decays, and we fight

until we are worn away, until the day
we come to love, not this place, no,
but the stories of the passing storms
and of the water that will have its way.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Poem: March 12, 2024

No One I run until I am invisible and free from the tendrils of the day and the treadmill and the others who fill this space, free of my gho...