So the purpose of this blog is to be a space to practice creativity. I am currently using it as a place to record a single, unedited poem for each day in 2019. While I attempt to write everyday, I may not actually post daily. Instead, I will post poems as they are completed, but one for everyday of the year. Not sure I can make it, but we'll see. It's fun to try regardless :)

Tuesday, February 19, 2019

Poem: February 18, 2019

Family

I like it better when you are home
visiting with the lives you have taken
in your separate directions in tow.

Look, here you are, returning
for the festival of the open weekend
or Spring Break Eve like pilgrims

who make a lovely trek of remembrance.
And you settle in well enough to what
was your bed, but isn't now.

You are vacationing here
in a familiar place with familiar attractions
and the must-do activities

and meals that become the story, the history
of the place that is home and not home.
And we repeat the pleasing patterns

of past visits: past questions,
past laughter, past games, past problems.
The circular act of re-creation

is both less and more than I imagine it will be.
A reiteration, rather than a new verse.
A favorite recipe written in ink.

No one could be satisfied to stay in place
or to become a museum collection. I know.
But look how happily I gather you,
how easily I return you to your place.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Poem: March 12, 2024

No One I run until I am invisible and free from the tendrils of the day and the treadmill and the others who fill this space, free of my gho...