So the purpose of this blog is to be a space to practice creativity. I am currently using it as a place to record a single, unedited poem for each day in 2019. While I attempt to write everyday, I may not actually post daily. Instead, I will post poems as they are completed, but one for everyday of the year. Not sure I can make it, but we'll see. It's fun to try regardless :)

Thursday, January 10, 2019

Poem: January 9, 2019

Steady

I return to the photograph more often than you might think-
my favorite image of us, reminiscent if Kahlil Gibran's description of love.

Love one another but make not a bond of love:
Let it rather be a moving sea between the shores of your souls.

Fourteen years have passed so quickly, so it is easy to return to Perdido,
to retrace those original paths along the shore, the distance between

our separate footsteps opening and closing. I sometimes remember
the ocean turbulent and rushing, sometimes peaceful like today.

Here my hair is still brown and the edge of your smile
is visible even though we are kissing, and you are nearly out of frame,

like a mystery to be explored or an oncoming storm.
I can see your amusement as you decide, and that is what I love.

Our chins are touching, and my nose is pressed
against your cheek. Between us, though, a glimpse of the surf.

We stand at the edge of this ocean and through some trick
of the camera angle held at arms length and shot blindly,

the horizon line is tilted, slanting to the left as if the ocean
was emptying itself somewhere beyond the limits of the frame.

I like to imagine that the world is thrown askew even now
every time I lean in for a kiss, and our lips touch like the reach of the tide.

Imagine the power to empty seas, to shift the physical world around us,
while we two hold stead in this moment. Face to face.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Poem: March 12, 2024

No One I run until I am invisible and free from the tendrils of the day and the treadmill and the others who fill this space, free of my gho...